H: and I: Drives To Be Phased Out

Hello UM-Flint Campus Community –

What’s Happening?

The UM-Flint campus Google migration project is continuing, and all UM-Flint students, faculty, and staff now have access to unlimited data storage by using the Drive and My Drive apps within the UM Google G Suite. Because of this, UM-Flint ITS will soon be phasing out most existing onsite network data storage hardware. For most users, this onsite network storage is recognized as individual H: drives and departmental I: drives. 

When?

These onsite network storage drives will be disconnected on June 1st, 2021.  After this date you will not be able to access H: and I: drives or request recovery of data from these drives. This provides departments and individuals with the necessary time to move all needed and appropriate data to My Drive (similar to H: Drive), and Shared Drives (similar to I: Drive).

What Do I Need To Do?

If you have not already done so, please familiarize yourself with how to get started with Google Drive. As you familiarize yourself, please look through the files you currently have stored in H: and I: Drives, clean up any unneeded files, and look for any sensitive data. Some departments and individuals may use onsite network storage drives to store sensitive data such as PCI, HIPPA, SSN, GLBA, or other types. Please refer to the UMich Sensitive Data Guide to IT Services for Google Drive for a full list of data types that can and cannot be stored in Google Drive or My Drive. If you have any data types that cannot be stored in Drive, ITS will work with you to plan alternative storage.

What’s Next?

The ITS Project Management team will soon begin reaching out to departments with more information. In the meantime, please contact the ITS Helpdesk with any questions or concerns.