H: and I: Drives To Be Phased Out

Hello UM-Flint Campus Community –

What’s Happening?

The UM-Flint campus Google migration project is continuing, and all UM-Flint students, faculty, and staff now have access to the UM Google G Suite. Because of this, UM-Flint ITS will soon be phasing out all existing onsite network data storage hardware. For most users, this onsite network storage is recognized as individual H: drives and departmental I: drives. 

When?

These onsite network storage drives will be disconnected on June 1st, 2021.  After this date you will not be able to access H: and I: drives or request recovery of data from these drives. This provides departments and individuals with the necessary time to move all needed and appropriate data to My Drive (similar to H: Drive), and Shared Drives (similar to I: Drive).

What Do I Need To Do?

When moving the H: drive, this will need to be done by oneself. For helpful tips and more information on the H: and I: drive, please refer yourself to google.umflint.edu or the ITS Helpdesk for more questions. If you currently have a web page that utilizes the H: drive, that will also need to be migrated over to Google Sites by each user. If you have not already done so, please familiarize yourself with how to get started with Google Drive. As you familiarize yourself, please look through the files you currently have stored in H: and I: Drives, clean up any unneeded files and look for any sensitive data. Some departments and individuals may use onsite network storage drives to store sensitive data such as PCI, HIPAA, SSN, GLBA, or other types. Please refer to the UMich- ITS Drop Box . If you have any data types that cannot be stored in the Google Drive, Drop Box will be the secure file storage option.

I: drive migrations will be coordinated by the google project team with each department on a scheduled basis beginning February 1st. Similar to the email transition, ITS has contacted unit readiness coordinators for each department to begin this process.

Please contact ITS Trainer, Dennese Bandyk (ddbandyk@umich.edu), to discuss arranging training sessions with ITS. Contact the ITS Helpdesk with any questions or concerns.